Dartmouth Commencement 2012
May 31, 2012 by Office of Public Affairs
Dartmouth bid farewell to the Class of 2012 with Commencement ceremonies on Sunday, June 10, the culmination of a full weekend of events. Wendy Kopp, founder and chief executive officer of Teach For America, gave the Commencement address. Find more information about the 2012 Commencement at the official website.
Part One of Dartmouth's 2012 Commencement (click here for part two)
- Wendy Kopp, Commencement Address
- Wills Begor, Valedictorian
- Glynnis Kearney, Valedictorian
- David Rogg, Valedictorian
- Jie Zhong, Valedictorian
- President Kim, Valedictory to the Seniors
Honorary Degree Citations:
- Johnny Clegg (Doctor of Humane Letters)
- Marye Anne Fox, PhD '74 (Doctor of Science)
- Wendy Kopp (Doctor of Humane Letters)
- Aqqaluk Lynge (Doctor of Humane Letters)
- Steven Roth ’62, Tuck ’63 (Doctor of Humane Letters)
- Jim Yong Kim (Doctor of Humane Letters)
- Younsook Lim (Doctor of Humane Letters)
It was a day of pomp and circumstance as nearly 1,800 new graduates bid farewell to Dartmouth in front of a crowd of 12,000 people.
Following Commencement ceremonies, Teach For America (TFA) Founder Wendy Kopp, Provost Carol Folt, and Board Chair Stephen Mandel ’78 hosted a reception for the 37 members of the Class of 2012 joining TFA this year. As teachers, Kopp said, “You’re going to walk the line between confidence and humility.”
Four members of the Class of 2012 who completed their Dartmouth courses with a grade point average of 4.0 were honored as valedictorians at Commencement.
As the Class of 2012 takes its leave, Dartmouth Now profiles some of the College’s newest graduates, including future scientists, educators, and sociologists.
The manager of conferences and events is constantly on the go, coordinating the details for two of the College’s largest events—Commencement and Reunions.
- Commencement Notes for the Dartmouth Class of 2012
- Portraits of Leadership: 2012 Student Marshals
- Scholarship and Fellowship Wins Take Dartmouth Students Around the Globe
- Dartmouth Library Recognizes Graduating Student Employees
- Video: Thayer School of Engineering's Graduating Class
- Teach for America Founder Wendy Kopp to Deliver Commencement Address
- Follow Dartmouth's Commencement on Twitter at hashtag #dartgrad
- Join Dartmouth’s Facebook page for Commencement updates
- The First Dartmouth Commencement
- What is the lectern used during Commencement?
- Are Dartmouth diplomas printed on paper or parchment?
- Photos: Heirlooms and Artifacts